Section 40

I used to go to concerts at SPAC a lot. I saw numerous bands back in the 90s and early 2000's and often attended multiple concerts each year. Over the past 10 years, there has been a change in popular music and the bands that were coming to SPAC weren't worth spending on, in my opinion. The bands that I wanted to see were playing smaller clubs, which was great because it was often much cheaper to see them. So, I hadn't been to SPAC in a while when I saw Tom Petty there this past Sunday.

Back when I was going to lots of concerts, I was always searching for the key to snag the best seats. The "pit," as the orchestra pit at SPAC is known, was always the holy grail. These seats were as close as you could get to band that you were there to see. And I was never in them.

I would log on to ticketmaster.com on the day that tickets went on sale with multiple browser windows. I would select "best available" and hope that I would end up with "pit seats." I never did.

There were a couple shows at SPAC that I attended where I sat in section 1, 2, or 3 -- the closest sections. But, I couldn't figure out how to get in the "pit."

One day I discovered the secret. A mysterious person provided me with a tip: pit seats are reserved by the band until the day of the show, and if any seats were not sold, they are released to the general public a few hours before show time.

In 2001, I decided to put that tip to the test.

My brother, girlfriend at the time, and I bought tickets to see Matchbox 20 and Train... (yes, I know... Train was decent back then and my girlfriend loved Matchbox 20... they were alright). The seats were in like section 12 or something. They were shitty seats.

We got to SPAC early, like 11:00am, and inquired about pit seats at the box office. They said there were not any. I asked specifically if any would be released and at what time. The lady said that she couldn't confirm if any more seats would be released because they wouldn't know. She added that they have no way of knowing what time more would be released. We asked if we could wait in line. She told us where we could wait. We set up folding beach chairs and a folding table. We played cards for hours.

I don't remember what time it was, but my girlfriend and I went for a walk down to the springs. We wanted to stretch our legs and wash up because it was hot and sticky. When we returned, and approached my brother, who stayed behind to guard our place in line, I noticed that my brother was holding three tickets up under his nose. I also noticed a look of restrained jubilation in his eyes.

My mind works slowly sometimes... first thought: I had the tickets when we arrived. Second thought: I didn't give him the tickets. Third thought: why does he have a new set of... OH!!! OH!!!

"What did you do?" I said.

"Fourth row," my brother said.

While I was gone, a new box office window opened. Someone from SPAC told my brother to get in line FAST. Pit seats had been released.

Upon closer examination of the tickets, I discovered that the seats were set in Section 40. Hmm. That's strange. 40 seems so far away. On the contrary. Section 40 is the "pit."

We sold our other tickets for slightly less than the going rate.

A few years later, my favorite band (Counting Crows*) was coming to SPAC. Rather than buy tickets, I waited. On the day of the concert, I sat at my computer with multiple browsers up. I checked for Best Available seats every 10 minutes. A handful of hours before showtime, Section 40 seats popped up.

That was an amazing show. I recall, Adam Duritz stepping out on to the stage and saying into the microphone something like, "We don't feel like following a set list tonight. We are going to do something different." They played a lot of songs acoustically and the sound was wonderful. Being so close, you got to see Adam going off to the side of the stage during guitar solos to tell people which song he wanted to do next. So effing cool.

This past Sunday, I sat in Section 40 again.

When I heard Tom Petty was coming to SPAC, I was stoked. It had been a while since I last went to SPAC. I ordered tickets the day they went on sale for myself and a friend from work. The friend from work eventually bailed due to another commitment. I couldn't find a replacement, and on the day of the concert, idly decided to check ticketmaster.com. Section 40. Row F. I bought the ticket without even having a plan on how to sell the other ones. Luckily, a facebook friend bought them from (for a low ball price, mind you; lucky girl!).

The Wallflowers opened. It was as incredible as it looks.


* Counting Crows are often my favorite band; but, sometimes the Wallflowers are my favorite band. Sometimes, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers are my favorite band. Sometimes, I'm my favorite band... but not often.